We don’t do many logos at Pixel Jocks but when we do, we get push back on price. We’re typically compared to services like 99Designs. To be completely honest, we’ve had clients use 99Designs and got a great logo. We’ve even used it ourselves for a quick logo for small internal projects. If you have no idea what you’re after, you can get 100’s of designs for a reasonable investment.
Things break down quickly when clients need to use their logo in different ways on different platforms. Because of this, the extra time and consideration provided by a professional can account for the following items.
- It follows existing brand standards
- Fonts used are properly licensed
- The color palette accounts for accessibility standards
- Different versions of the logo that work horizontally, vertically, and in a square
- It is in the right formats for use on web sites, business cards, email, billboards, brochures, etc. (print work requires a much higher resolution version)
- It works regardless of the size
It is frustrating for us and the client when they only have one version of the logo. It can severely limit the design options we can explore on web site designs, email marketing templates, and more.
Additionally, if you don’t have your logo in the correct versions, you may not be able to do print work like business cards.
If you’re exploring getting a new logo, please take the time to consider the pluses and minuses of going with a service like 99Designs versus a professional designer that specializes in logo and branding design.